Occupational exposure to electromagnetic fields from medical sources.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
TitleOccupational exposure to electromagnetic fields from medical sources.
Published inInd Health 2018; 56(2):96-105
PubliekssamenvattingHigh exposures to electromagnetic fields (EMF) can occur near certain medical devices in the hospital environment. A systematic assessment of medical occupational EMF exposure could help to clarify where more attention to occupational safety may be needed. This paper seeks to identify sources of high exposure for hospital workers and compare the published exposure data to occupational limits in the European Union. A systematic search for peer-reviewed publications was conducted via PubMed and Scopus databases. Relevant grey literature was collected via a web search. For each publication, the highest measured magnetic flux density or internal electric field strength per device and main frequency component was extracted. For low frequency fields, high action levels may be exceeded for magnetic stimulation, MRI gradient fields and movement in MRI static fields. For radiofrequency fields, the action levels may be exceeded near devices for diathermy, electrosurgery and hyperthermia and in the radiofrequency field inside MRI scanners. The exposure limit values for internal electric field may be exceeded for MRI and magnetic stimulation. For MRI and magnetic stimulation, practical measures can limit worker exposure. For diathermy, electrosurgery and hyperthermia, additional calculations are necessary to determine if SAR limits may be exceeded in some scenarios.
- The revised electromagnetic fields directive and worker exposure in environments with high magnetic flux densities.
- Authors: Stam R
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Assessment of physiotherapists' occupational exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields from shortwave and microwave diathermy devices: a literature review.
- Authors: Shah SG, Farrow A
- Issue date: 2013
- Occupational exposure to electromagnetic fields in physiotherapy departments.
- Authors: Maccà I, Scapellato ML, Carrieri M, Pasqua di Bisceglie A, Saia B, Bartolucci GB
- Issue date: 2008
- Inventory of MRI applications and workers exposed to MRI-related electromagnetic fields in the Netherlands.
- Authors: Schaap K, Christopher-De Vries Y, Slottje P, Kromhout H
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- [Occupational exposure to electromagnetic fields in physiotherapy departments].
- Authors: Maccà I, Scapellato ML, Perini M, Virgili A, Saia B, Bartolucci GB
- Issue date: 2002 Oct-Dec